1.0 Team Size and Composition, Minimum Age and Game Time
The East Sandringham Junior Netball Club has established policies on team size, team composition, age and game time which are designed to achieve the following key outcomes:
- Equal opportunities for all girls and boys (up to U13) to play netball, regardless of their size or skill level;
- To provide girls and boys (up to U13) in their early netball years the opportunity to play in friendship and/or school groups;
- As players get older, to ensure they are playing with and against players of similar skill levels, thus extending their enjoyment of the game;
- To encourage the development of a very strong team ethic, where the contribution of all the players is valued equally.
1.1 Team Size and Composition
Teams will be restricted to 10 players a side unless in exceptional circumstances. From Under 11 to Under 13 inclusive, the ESJFC encourages all players to play with friends and schoolmates, subject to ensuring adequate numbers on all team lists.
From Under 15, the club reserves the right to organise teams and players to the best of its ability to provide an environment in which they can be competitive and continue to develop their skills.
If team lists extend past the maximum numbers, some players will be required to be rostered off each week during the season. If possible, Coaches and Team Managers should give parents and players the opportunity to advise in advance any times of unavailability to ensure these games missed are counted as games rostered off. It is expected that all players will be rotated equitably.
An accurate record of player selection must be kept, including dates when players were rostered off.
Finally, no player is allowed to be a full-time member of more than one team.
1.2 Minimum Age Requirements
The East Sandringham Junior Netball Club has a minimum age policy for players as follows:
- All players joining the club must turn a minimum nine years of age in the calendar year of their first season.
1.3 Game Time
All players will play a minimum of two quarters game time. This is to be equal time amongst players for the season. Coaches must record game time each match.
1.4 Finals Selection Policy (U11–U17)
It is generally recognised that finals netball is different from the regular season. The policy will be based on the following principles:
- All players must play a minimum of one quarter to ensure as many players as is possible to experience finals netball.
- Otherwise, player selection and playing time for individual players should give the team the best possible opportunity to win.
- An understanding that the policy will provide coaches from Under 13 and above greater scope for varying playing time for individual players than in regular games.
- Other than the minimum requirement, the Coach will have full discretion over the length of playing time that individual players have on the field and the time each player spends on the bench.